Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Texas State Fair

Monday was "Fair Day!!" This simply means that we get a free ticket to the fair and a day off school to do with as we please. Well, I haven't been to the fair since I was hugely pregnant with Colton, so this was our year! My friend, Amy, invited us to come along with her and her girls for a fun filled day. Joel was very jealous that he couldn't come!

Elli, Anna, Colton & Danika

There were a lot of great activities for the kids, including a "Little Hands on the Farm" where the kids acted out the duties of different kinds of farmers. They planted seeds, harvested what they planted, gathered eggs, fed chickens, milked cows, sheered sheep, sold their goods, and spent their hard earned money on a snack.

Danika thought they were real chickens at first!
Colton even played along and drove this way too small tractor to get his goods to market.
We spent the majority of our day with the animals. Joel wasn't even with us - he's so proud. This picture proves that yes, I was there, near smelly cattle to give my children a lesson on how it all works. Colton was quick to point out that this cow needs to find her babies because she's lot lots of milk. About ten minutes later, we went to a "milking" demonstration and this very cow was relieved. The kids were fascinated at the process of getting the milk from the cow into our fridge. I even learned a few things from the informative farmer.

There was a great petting/feeding area where the kids got up close and personal with all kinds of animals from pigs to zebras to giraffes. Yes, all of those at the state fair. It kind of felt like we were at the zoo. For $5 we got lots of food, which Dani kept pouring on the animals until she figured it out to just hold it in her hands. Sometimes I forget to explain these simple things to her. She wasn't scared at all, so she had a ball.
Dani (yes, that's a crooked pigtail line!) feeding a baby camel.

I do admit that the piglets were dang cute. Their mama, not so much!!!

No day is complete at the Fair without seeing "Big Tex" the official mascot of the State Fair of Texas. Somehow we got out of there without riding any rides or eating much junk food.

We had a great time and we'll definitely go again next year!
Thanks Amy for inviting us to come along!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

How fun for ya'll... Too bad "Mister Junior-Grand-Champion" couldn't be there too. ;o)
Calli you look great! Love the pic of you with the kiddos in front of the "full" cow.

Unknown said...

I figured it out!! I love all the pics I'm proud of you too that you got that close to a smelly cow becasue we all know I would never get that close :) I also love the one of colton on the smallest tractor ever! I miss you guys alot I can't wait untill I come home and see how big Colton and Dani have gotten just talking to Dani on the phone is weird she sounds so much bigger and is talking so much more! love and miss ya!

The Jeppesen Family ;) said...

Please tell me you ate a corn dog and the prize winning deep fried bacon! Geesh! NO junk food!? What is wrong with you! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great time! Too funny with Colton and the cow. {hehe}

Ashli Brown said...

So much fun! Seriously the smallest tractor out there, Colton is such a good sport and what a smart kid about the cow. I can imagine Dani trying to feed the animals and cant help but giggle.