Monday, October 6, 2008

What a Great Day!

Saturday was the annual MEND Walk to Remember and it was wonderful. I'll explain a little, but words just can't describe the emotion and spirit that is felt as everyone there remembers a baby that they've lost. I've served on the committee for the last three years and though it's a lot of work, it is such a blessing to be a part of something so wonderful. This year we had just over 400 people remembering 160 babies. These are the angels that were distributed this year.

This is such a special time to honor my daughter, Savannah Kate, who passed away during birth on January 3, 2004. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her and what our family would be like if she would have made it. Right now my heart is full and my eyes are flooded with tears as I think of her. I miss her! It's so interesting how as soon as you find out that you're pregnant, you start making plans for the baby. Not just how the nursery will look, but you develop hopes and dreams for your unborn child. Every mom out there knows what I mean. When all of that comes crashing down and you go home from the hospital without your baby, it's hard to even breathe (really, you'd rather not breathe than live another day in misery). About 4 months after Savannah was born, I wasn't doing very well at all. Everyone else had "gone on" and I was just stuck, not really knowing how to grieve or what the process was to "get back to normal". Well, in that time I found MEND, Mommies Enduring Neonatal Death, and through the support I received there I was able to slowly come out of the fog and live again. I learned that I would never be the Calli that I was before Savannah and that I would form a "new normal" for my life. Since MEND is a Christian based support group I felt very comfortable expressing my feelings on eternal families and the hand of the Lord in my life. What a great blessing that Families are Forever. I know that I will see Savannah again and what a joyous reunion that will be.

This will give you a glimpse of the Walk to Remember. It's from last year, but look closely and you'll see a few pictures of my family. Mend Slide Show Make sure you have your sound up because there's beautiful music.

5 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Oh, Calli! I'm so glad it was such a nice day. That was such a sweet post. Having lost my baby at 17 wks, I have some idea of what you felt. It is so painful and I'm so glad that you found such a wonderful group to help with that pain.

Marilyn said...

I had a great time working with you on the walk committee. You have a beautiful webpage. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Always Remembering...

Stephanie said...

I saw your page and watched the link and it has taken me a while to post since I can't see a thing through the flood of tears. My heart is with you all. I'm so grateful that you found this support group and that now you too can help others who have to deal with this unbelievable loss. The picture of your family all huddled together and holding one another... priceless. I love you Calli so much. I miss you all like crazy and I know that you will have Savannah in your arms once again... one day.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing support group. I'm so glad that you are not only a member but able to serve all these families that have lost their precious babies. I was bummed I wasn't able to come and help out. Count on me next year, kleenex it tow.

Calli said...

Thanks for your kind comments. It's awesome to have friends that I can be totally open with!